Thursday, September 12, 2013

Malaysia`s Culture Icon

Azah Aziz

Malay Culture Expert, Journalist, Author
1928 – 2012

In July 2012, Azah Aziz, an authority on Malay culture passed away. We lost a Gem. She had a special interest in the Malay attire, and was always seen in her Baju Kurung, which is the Malay traditional attire, consisting of a dress and a sarong.

I once met her at a traditional dance competition. She came in after the show had started, touched my hand and asked me if she could sit on the empty chair beside me. Of course I said yes. Later she whispered something to me, “Sepatutnya Baju Kurung lebih sesuai digayakan dengan kasut yang terbuka, bukan kasut itu, ya..” (“The Baju Kurung is better styled with an open shoes not that shoes, ya..”) She was referring to the dancers on stage wearing shoes with Baju Kurung (the Malay traditional attire for women), which actually should be worn with something like a sandal.

No comments:

Post a Comment